Monday, May 29, 2006

Remembering Memorial Day


On this Memorial Day, I want to give a heart-felt thank-you to all those who have risked their lives and especially those who have given their lives so that I have the freedom to live my life the way I see fit, vote for whom I think is fit for office, and to blog when, where, and what I want. God bless you and all your loved ones. What I and all Americans owe you is something that we can never begin to repay.

Sadly, ever since I was little, I don't remember Memorial Day as being anything more than a day-off. There weren't any parades that I remember, and school was still in session, so it wasn't a holiday that marked the beginning of summer, like it does in some other parts of the USA.

I didn't fully appreciate this day as a holiday until I became an adult. When I started reading more about the sacrifices of men and women in uniform. The "Saving Private Ryan" experience. Memorial Day shouldn't just be about barbecues or seeing movies. It should be a day where everybody talks to, writes to, or in some other way makes contact with a veteran or the family of veterans and thanks them for their sacrifice.

But too often it seems like half of the country forgets what the holiday is for, and the other half wants to ignore what it means. Here in Korea I run into too many American citizens who look down on the US military and the people who compose it. To them, the military is an embarrassment, it's something beneath them, and its personnel something to look down on. Where would these people be without someone fighting to defend their liberty? Ironically, it is the people in uniform who fight for their right to look down on the people in uniform.

And this is why, no matter how much the right-wing neocons in the GOP try to turn our party and our country into a unilateralist theocracy, I don't think I could ever bring myself to vote for a Democrat. By doing so I would be aligning myself with people who look down on the brave people who give them freedom. Of course, this is not all Democrats, but this is enough of them to make it unpalatable to stand and support whomever it is they are supporting. If the Democratic Party ever wants my moderate vote, they should kick out the military bashers and force them all to vote Green.

Okay, maybe this rant is a bit harsh, but lately I've had just a few too many conversations with Michael Moore supporters who seem to think that freedom and liberty just magically fall from the sky.

Go back and watch "Saving Private Ryan" to see what people in uniform have gone through, or "Schindler's List" to see what they have been fighting to prevent. Go and talk to an elderly Korean or two to find out what the US military helped save them from.

Remember this, at least on Memorial Day.

3 Comments:

At 6/02/2006 7:50 PM, Blogger Padde said...

It is like like it is America is saving the world and the repulicans are saving the civil rights. I hope you are kidding otherwise take it easy take it as it comes. ;-) A Guy from old europe

 
At 6/29/2006 12:07 PM, Blogger nora sumi park said...

america has some misdirected politicians right now, but i support the troops, who are just doing what they're told, in the name of defending their country and its values. don't blame those who are risking their lives; blame (and then vote out) those who are putting them where they shouldn't be or making them do what they shouldn't be doing.

 
At 11/09/2012 11:53 AM, Blogger Ana Morris said...

Why are some people naïve enough not to know the difference.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home